07 Sep Episode #64: Gettin’ Burly With Michael Caron
In this episode, Ben Greenfield interviews Michael Caron, a Spartan and SEALFit coach from GetBurly.com.
After circumnavigating the globe via a “Semester at Sea Program”, Michael completed Teach For America in Houston, Texas where he also attained a Masters Degree in Education. Strongly identifying with the struggles and hardships he witnessed through the international relations and global education of semester at sea, combined with his work to bridge the achievement gap with the Teach For America Program, Michael was reinforced with a desire to pursue a career bringing about positive change. Upon returning home to Boston, Michael took to teaching and coaching immediately, and has been coaching three sports at the high school level for 10 years.
Michael’s certifications include:
- Seal Fit Basic Training Certification
- Certified First Aid/CPR- American Red Cross
- Certified Spartan SGX Coach
- Child Light Yoga for Teens
- Certified High School Coach- Cambridge Rindge and Latin & Reading Memorial High School
- Certified Physical Education Teacher- Massachusetts
- Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Reading Memorial High School and Cambridge Rindge and Latin School
- Completion of Pikes Peak Study USARIEM with US Military
- Masters Degree in Education- University of St. Thomas, Houston, TX.
- Completion of Teach For America Program
- Bachelors Degree- Plymouth State University, Plymouth, NH
- University of Pittsburg Completion of International Studies: Semester at Sea Program-Japan, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, India, Kenya, South Africa, Brazil, Cuba
During this episode, Michael and Ben discuss:
-What it means to be “burly”…
-Why Michael uses a “push-pull” format for Olympic weightlifting to develop speed and strength…
-Laird Hamilton’s book Force Of Nature…
-How and why Michael does so much beach running…
-Michaels’ top grip strengthening exercises, including rock climber pullup equipment…
-And much more!
Questions, comments or feedback? Leave ’em below, and click here to leave your questions now…